RoyalDutchShell

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Boko Haram Ceasefire Plan Soon, Says Nigerian Minister

Posted on 21:27 by Unknown
Crowd gathers outside an area where a bomb was planted at a Christian church in Nigeria near the capital of Abuja. The Boko Haram group has claimed responsibility. by Pan-African News Wire File Photos
Crowd gathers outside an area where a bomb was planted at a Christian church in Nigeria near the capital of Abuja. The Boko Haram group has claimed responsibility., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.

Boko Haram ceasefire plan soon, says minister

Posted by: Yusuf Alli, Abuja
The Nation, Nigeria

•DHQ team for Yobe

The Minister of Special Duties, Alhaji Kabiru Turaki yesterday said the Federal Government is having a ceasefire understanding with the mainstream Boko Haram led by the late Mohammed Yusuf.

He said the government wasworking on broader terms for the ceasefire and will unfold it soon.

Turaki, who spoke with our correspondent, yesterday said no formal agreement had been signed with Boko Haram.

He said: “We have reached an understanding with them (Boko Haram) for ceasefire, which they have already directed and which we have accepted.

“We are working on the formal agreement which will follow in due course.”

Asked about which of the factions of Boko Haram the government is discussing with, the Minister said: “It is with the mainstream Yusuf. We are working on the broader terms now and will announce to the world in due course.”

A statement by the spokesman for Defence Headquarters, Brig-Gen. Chris Olukolade, said a delegation led by the Chief of Research and Development in the Defence Headquarters had been sent to Yobe to find out how no fewer than 22 pupils were killed.

The statement said: “A fact-finding team of senior officers from the Defence Headquarters is in Yobe State for an on-the-spot assessment of the deployment of troops of the Joint Task Force in the State.

“The team is to pay particular attention to the security circumstances around the incidence of the attack on the Government Secondary School, Mamudo near Potiskum during the weekend.

“Led by the Chief of Research and Development in the Defence Headquarters, the team is visiting troops deployed in remote locations in Yobe State to verify the effectiveness of patrols and cordon and search operations directed at forestalling any further breach of security and tracking down perpetrators of the weekend attack.

“The team is expected to brief the Chief of Defence Staff, Admiral Ibrahim Ola Sa’ad in respect of any requirement for additional troops and logistics for the operation in Yobe State.”

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has called on Boko Haram members to disarm totally and permanently in the spirit of the Ramadan fasting period, which begins among Muslim faithful in the country today.

In a good will message to mark the beginning of the 30-day long Ramadan fasting by Muslims, the former Vice President appealed to the Boko Haram insurgents to permanently abandon any form of violence against innocent people.

According to him, cold-blooded murder of innocent people is against the teachings of Islam and, therefore, advised the Boko Haram insurgents to embrace peace, using the Ramadan season as the beginning of the end of their violence against defenseless victims.

Atiku Abubakar advised Boko Haram to embrace dialogue and disarmament to save the nation this needless violence against innocent people. He added: “deliberate violence against innocent people cannot be justified under whatever circumstances and it benefits nobody. The Boko Haram insurgents should take advantage of this Ramadan period to end all forms of violence once and for all, and save us from this endless trauma

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Nigeria's 2012 Petroleum Exports Valued at N15.1 Trillion
    Federal Republic of Nigeria petroleum minister. , a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr. Nigeria’s 2012 petroleum exports ...
  • Former Senior Official Expelled From Chinese Communist Party
    Mr. Liu Tienan, a member of the Chinese Communist Party and government was the head of economic planning. He has been expelled from the part...
  • Sudanese Official Warns Against Leftist Influence in Workers' Union
    Nafie Ali Nafie, representative of the Sudan Government is visiting Japan to seek greater economic cooperation between the two nations. , a ...
  • Zimbabwe War Veterans Challenge Youth In National Building
    Jabulani Sibanda is the president of the Zimbabwe National Liberation War Veterans. The organization represents those who fought during the ...
  • Military-Appointed Egyptian President Threatens Opposition in Televised Speech
    Adly Mansour, the chief justice of the Egyptian Constitutional Court was sworn in as interim president by the military. The country has face...
  • South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Launches 24-Hour News Channel
    South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) logo. The network has launched a 24-hour news channel. , a photo by Pan-African News Wire File...
  • Somalia Government Drafts Bill to Protect Women's Rights
    Fawiza Yusuf Haji Adam has been selected as the first deputy prime minister and foreign minister of Somalia. Somalia is being backed by the ...
  • Sudan Flooding Kills Over 30 People, Thousands Displaced
    Sudan area where flooding has displaced hundreds of thousands. Over three dozen have been reported killed in the disaster. , a photo by Pan-...
  • Libya's Southern Border Remains Out of the Control of Counterrevolutionaries
    African migrant carries his belongings at a makeshift camp in Libya. Three Africans were murdered by counter-revolutionary rebels on August ...
  • U.S. Hails Life Prison Terms for Somalia Youth
    Dutch sentence Somalia men of piracy based on colonial era law. The Europeans and the U.S. have warships in the Gulf of Aden off the coast o...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (500)
    • ►  August (174)
    • ▼  July (326)
      • Britain's Head in the Sand Over Kenyan Abuses
      • Sudan President Bashir to Attend Iranian President...
      • Sudan Soldiers Killed in Rebel Ambush in Abyei
      • U.S. War in Somalia Centered on Oil Resources
      • 12 Bombs Defused in Occupied Libyan Capital of Tri...
      • Former Libyan Education Minister Order Executed by...
      • Egypt Reiterates Rejection of African Union Suspen...
      • United States Senate Rejects Proposal to Halt Egyp...
      • Pro-Morsi Demonstrations No Longer Acceptable Says...
      • Egyptian Military-Backed Regime Orders Police to R...
      • Transcription of Press Conference With Zimbabwe Pr...
      • Indigenisation Brings Transformation to Kwekwe
      • More Zimbabweans Rally Behind President Mugabe
      • Julius Malema Backs ZANU-PF
      • African Union, SADC Endorse Zimbabwe Poll Preparat...
      • Chinese Observers Dismiss Claims of Vote-Rigging i...
      • Zimbabwe Farmers Predict Landslide Victory For Pre...
      • President Mugabe Confident Of Emphatic Victory
      • Bradley Manning Faces Long Prison Term For Exposin...
      • WikiLeaks's Assange Condemns Manning Verdict, Obama
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured Over Press ...
      • Tunisians Hold Mass Demonstrations, General Strike...
      • ZANU-PF Has Transformed Lives, Says Vice-President...
      • United States Blocks Zimbabwe Poll Survey
      • Zimbabwe Electoral Commission Ready for July 31 Vote
      • 8 Tunisian Soldiers Killed in Shoot Out
      • More Deaths in Egyptian Political Unrest
      • EU Envoy Meets With Egyptian 'Rebel' Leaders
      • Egyptian Opponents of Military Coup Call for Fresh...
      • Mbeki to Brief African Union Peace and Security Co...
      • South Sudan Moving Toward Dictatorship, Former VP ...
      • Eritrea Denies Allegations Over Neighboring Somalia
      • Verdict Is Expected Tuesday for Pfc. Manning
      • JPMorgan Accused of Manipulating Energy Markets
      • Pan-African Journal: Special Worldwide Radio Broad...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Press TV...
      • Pan-African Journal: Worldwide Radio Broadcast for...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Press TV...
      • Zimbabwe Vice-President Mujuru On Urban Venture Pr...
      • 106,000 Polling Officers Deployed In Zimbabwe
      • Goodbye to Zimbabwe Mbira Queen
      • European Union, United States Plot to Discredit Po...
      • President Mugabe Concludes Zimbabwe Campaign Rallies
      • Zimbabwe Indigenisation Desmystified
      • Egyptian Military Regime Blames Islamist Forces fo...
      • Military-Appointed President In Egypt Gives Premie...
      • European Union Envoy Catherine Ashton Visits Egypt...
      • 80 Percent of U.S. Adults Face Near-Poverty, Unemp...
      • Sudan President Bashir Working on a Major Initiati...
      • Sudan Delays Blockage Of South Sudan Oil Flows For...
      • South Sudan to Host Security Meeting With Khartoum
      • Al-Shabaab Launches Attacks on Federal Forces in B...
      • Somalia Resistance Setting Up Fresh Units
      • Somalia Federal Government Executes Soldiers
      • Explosions Rock Benghazi, Libya
      • Egyptian Military Launches Operations in Sinai
      • Egypt Under Military Rule Pledged Billions by Gulf...
      • Egyptian Opposition Blames Civilian Deaths on Musl...
      • DPRK Marks 60th Anniversary of Victory In Fatherla...
      • Tunisian Clashes Continue Amid Funeral of Mohamed ...
      • Mali Prepares for National Vote Amid French Occupa...
      • Fired Vice President to Run for South Sudan Presid...
      • Clashes Between Sudan Army and Rebels in Oil State
      • Somalia Federal Government Troops Clash in Lower S...
      • Turkish Embassy Bombed in Somalia Capital
      • Libyan Rebels Reshuffle Cabinet, Cut Officials Aft...
      • Muslim Brotherhood Attacked in Libya
      • Over 1,000 Detainees Escape in Eastern Libya
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Press TV...
      • At Least 100 People Killed in Egypt Clashes
      • Mass Opposing Rallies Lead to Many Deaths in Egypt
      • Military Installed President of Egypt Tells Ousted...
      • Egypt Military Builds Case Against Ousted President
      • Tunisian Protester Killed in National Demonstrations
      • Protests Hit Tunisia for Second Day After Assassin...
      • Raul Castro: New Generations Will Take Over Cuba's...
      • Latin America in U.S. Line of Fire
      • Kim Jong Un Meets Delegation From China
      • U.S. Destroyed Civilian Facilities During Korean War
      • U.S. Blamed for Persisting in State of War on Kore...
      • Sybrina Fulton Addresses National Urban League Con...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Press TV...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on African ...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Heart of...
      • Respect Zimbabwe Voters, Vice-President Mujuru Tel...
      • President Mugabe Commends Zimbabwe Women
      • Zimbabwe Declares July 31 Holiday for National Ele...
      • Former Nigerian President Obasanjo Leads African U...
      • U.S. Set Back on Bid-Rigging Sentences in UBS Crim...
      • U.S. Accuses Hedge Fund SAC Capital of Insider Tra...
      • Halliburton Pleads Guilty to Destroying Evidence A...
      • Marathon May Abandon Libyan Operations
      • No Injuries Reported in Grenade Attack Near Canadi...
      • Rocket Strikes UAW Mission In Libya
      • Juror Says Zimmerman Got Away With Murder of Trayv...
      • Tunisia Opposition Party Leader Assassinated in Ca...
      • West Angling to Destabilize Zimbabwe Elections
      • African Union Happy With Zimbabwe Poll Preparations
      • Bank-Engineered Seizure of Detroit's Art Planned
      • Michigan Constitution Suspended Allowing Banks to ...
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile