RoyalDutchShell

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 8 July 2013

Mozambique Army Attacks Former Rebel Camp

Posted on 23:06 by Unknown
Republic of Mozambique President Armando Guebuza has warned of foreign interference in the internal affairs of this Southern African state. The country has recently been the focus of natural resource exploration. by Pan-African News Wire File Photos
Republic of Mozambique President Armando Guebuza has warned of foreign interference in the internal affairs of this Southern African state. The country has recently been the focus of natural resource exploration., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.

Mozambique army attacks former rebel camp

Monday, 08 July 2013 15:31

MAPUTO- Mozambique's armed forces have attacked a camp of former rebels in the centre of the country where "bandits" terrorised civilians on the road last month, state media said on Sunday.The army broke up the base of about 50 huts close to the country's main north-south highway early on Saturday, according to state-run Radio Mozambique.

"We evicted some bandits camped in the area," provincial police commander Joaquim Nido told the radio station.

Official opposition and ex-rebel movement Renamo earlier claimed it had repelled government attacks on its camp near the town Muxungue late on Friday and early on Saturday.

Authorities claimed there were no casualties, but Renamo said it had killed government soldiers and independent newspaper A Verdade also reported an unknown number of deaths citing unnamed sources.

Return to violence

Provincial commander Nido said gunmen from the camp killed two civilians in attacks on vehicles travelling along the highway on 21 June.

At the time of those attacks Renamo denied responsibility, though it had warned two days earlier it would block the road.

Simmering tensions between Renamo and the Frelimo-led government erupted in violent clashes again in April - over two decades after a bloody civil war ended.

Renamo demands more representation in the armed forces and changes to the electoral law.

Several rounds of talks have failed.

Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama said this week he was willing to meet with President Armando Guebuza if government forces withdrew from the former rebels' base.

Soldiers had surrounded the camp in Sofala province's remote Gorongosa Mountains after the 21 June attacks.

Renamo has periodically threatened a return to violence after the end of the civil war, but only began acting on its threats since Dhlakama reopened his base in October 2012.

Commentators doubt the movement, previously supported by the apartheid government of neighbouring South Africa, has the resources to relaunch full-scale hostilities.

- AFP

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Nigeria's 2012 Petroleum Exports Valued at N15.1 Trillion
    Federal Republic of Nigeria petroleum minister. , a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr. Nigeria’s 2012 petroleum exports ...
  • Former Senior Official Expelled From Chinese Communist Party
    Mr. Liu Tienan, a member of the Chinese Communist Party and government was the head of economic planning. He has been expelled from the part...
  • Sudanese Official Warns Against Leftist Influence in Workers' Union
    Nafie Ali Nafie, representative of the Sudan Government is visiting Japan to seek greater economic cooperation between the two nations. , a ...
  • Zimbabwe War Veterans Challenge Youth In National Building
    Jabulani Sibanda is the president of the Zimbabwe National Liberation War Veterans. The organization represents those who fought during the ...
  • Military-Appointed Egyptian President Threatens Opposition in Televised Speech
    Adly Mansour, the chief justice of the Egyptian Constitutional Court was sworn in as interim president by the military. The country has face...
  • South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Launches 24-Hour News Channel
    South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) logo. The network has launched a 24-hour news channel. , a photo by Pan-African News Wire File...
  • Somalia Government Drafts Bill to Protect Women's Rights
    Fawiza Yusuf Haji Adam has been selected as the first deputy prime minister and foreign minister of Somalia. Somalia is being backed by the ...
  • Sudan Flooding Kills Over 30 People, Thousands Displaced
    Sudan area where flooding has displaced hundreds of thousands. Over three dozen have been reported killed in the disaster. , a photo by Pan-...
  • Libya's Southern Border Remains Out of the Control of Counterrevolutionaries
    African migrant carries his belongings at a makeshift camp in Libya. Three Africans were murdered by counter-revolutionary rebels on August ...
  • U.S. Hails Life Prison Terms for Somalia Youth
    Dutch sentence Somalia men of piracy based on colonial era law. The Europeans and the U.S. have warships in the Gulf of Aden off the coast o...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (500)
    • ►  August (174)
    • ▼  July (326)
      • Britain's Head in the Sand Over Kenyan Abuses
      • Sudan President Bashir to Attend Iranian President...
      • Sudan Soldiers Killed in Rebel Ambush in Abyei
      • U.S. War in Somalia Centered on Oil Resources
      • 12 Bombs Defused in Occupied Libyan Capital of Tri...
      • Former Libyan Education Minister Order Executed by...
      • Egypt Reiterates Rejection of African Union Suspen...
      • United States Senate Rejects Proposal to Halt Egyp...
      • Pro-Morsi Demonstrations No Longer Acceptable Says...
      • Egyptian Military-Backed Regime Orders Police to R...
      • Transcription of Press Conference With Zimbabwe Pr...
      • Indigenisation Brings Transformation to Kwekwe
      • More Zimbabweans Rally Behind President Mugabe
      • Julius Malema Backs ZANU-PF
      • African Union, SADC Endorse Zimbabwe Poll Preparat...
      • Chinese Observers Dismiss Claims of Vote-Rigging i...
      • Zimbabwe Farmers Predict Landslide Victory For Pre...
      • President Mugabe Confident Of Emphatic Victory
      • Bradley Manning Faces Long Prison Term For Exposin...
      • WikiLeaks's Assange Condemns Manning Verdict, Obama
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured Over Press ...
      • Tunisians Hold Mass Demonstrations, General Strike...
      • ZANU-PF Has Transformed Lives, Says Vice-President...
      • United States Blocks Zimbabwe Poll Survey
      • Zimbabwe Electoral Commission Ready for July 31 Vote
      • 8 Tunisian Soldiers Killed in Shoot Out
      • More Deaths in Egyptian Political Unrest
      • EU Envoy Meets With Egyptian 'Rebel' Leaders
      • Egyptian Opponents of Military Coup Call for Fresh...
      • Mbeki to Brief African Union Peace and Security Co...
      • South Sudan Moving Toward Dictatorship, Former VP ...
      • Eritrea Denies Allegations Over Neighboring Somalia
      • Verdict Is Expected Tuesday for Pfc. Manning
      • JPMorgan Accused of Manipulating Energy Markets
      • Pan-African Journal: Special Worldwide Radio Broad...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Press TV...
      • Pan-African Journal: Worldwide Radio Broadcast for...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Press TV...
      • Zimbabwe Vice-President Mujuru On Urban Venture Pr...
      • 106,000 Polling Officers Deployed In Zimbabwe
      • Goodbye to Zimbabwe Mbira Queen
      • European Union, United States Plot to Discredit Po...
      • President Mugabe Concludes Zimbabwe Campaign Rallies
      • Zimbabwe Indigenisation Desmystified
      • Egyptian Military Regime Blames Islamist Forces fo...
      • Military-Appointed President In Egypt Gives Premie...
      • European Union Envoy Catherine Ashton Visits Egypt...
      • 80 Percent of U.S. Adults Face Near-Poverty, Unemp...
      • Sudan President Bashir Working on a Major Initiati...
      • Sudan Delays Blockage Of South Sudan Oil Flows For...
      • South Sudan to Host Security Meeting With Khartoum
      • Al-Shabaab Launches Attacks on Federal Forces in B...
      • Somalia Resistance Setting Up Fresh Units
      • Somalia Federal Government Executes Soldiers
      • Explosions Rock Benghazi, Libya
      • Egyptian Military Launches Operations in Sinai
      • Egypt Under Military Rule Pledged Billions by Gulf...
      • Egyptian Opposition Blames Civilian Deaths on Musl...
      • DPRK Marks 60th Anniversary of Victory In Fatherla...
      • Tunisian Clashes Continue Amid Funeral of Mohamed ...
      • Mali Prepares for National Vote Amid French Occupa...
      • Fired Vice President to Run for South Sudan Presid...
      • Clashes Between Sudan Army and Rebels in Oil State
      • Somalia Federal Government Troops Clash in Lower S...
      • Turkish Embassy Bombed in Somalia Capital
      • Libyan Rebels Reshuffle Cabinet, Cut Officials Aft...
      • Muslim Brotherhood Attacked in Libya
      • Over 1,000 Detainees Escape in Eastern Libya
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Press TV...
      • At Least 100 People Killed in Egypt Clashes
      • Mass Opposing Rallies Lead to Many Deaths in Egypt
      • Military Installed President of Egypt Tells Ousted...
      • Egypt Military Builds Case Against Ousted President
      • Tunisian Protester Killed in National Demonstrations
      • Protests Hit Tunisia for Second Day After Assassin...
      • Raul Castro: New Generations Will Take Over Cuba's...
      • Latin America in U.S. Line of Fire
      • Kim Jong Un Meets Delegation From China
      • U.S. Destroyed Civilian Facilities During Korean War
      • U.S. Blamed for Persisting in State of War on Kore...
      • Sybrina Fulton Addresses National Urban League Con...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Press TV...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on African ...
      • Abayomi Azikiwe, PANW Editor, Featured on Heart of...
      • Respect Zimbabwe Voters, Vice-President Mujuru Tel...
      • President Mugabe Commends Zimbabwe Women
      • Zimbabwe Declares July 31 Holiday for National Ele...
      • Former Nigerian President Obasanjo Leads African U...
      • U.S. Set Back on Bid-Rigging Sentences in UBS Crim...
      • U.S. Accuses Hedge Fund SAC Capital of Insider Tra...
      • Halliburton Pleads Guilty to Destroying Evidence A...
      • Marathon May Abandon Libyan Operations
      • No Injuries Reported in Grenade Attack Near Canadi...
      • Rocket Strikes UAW Mission In Libya
      • Juror Says Zimmerman Got Away With Murder of Trayv...
      • Tunisia Opposition Party Leader Assassinated in Ca...
      • West Angling to Destabilize Zimbabwe Elections
      • African Union Happy With Zimbabwe Poll Preparations
      • Bank-Engineered Seizure of Detroit's Art Planned
      • Michigan Constitution Suspended Allowing Banks to ...
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile